Not surprisingly, the numbers tend to spike in times of war. The record holder for highest approval rating?
- President George W. Bush, who topped out at 90% in the immediate aftermath of 9/11.
- His father is the runner-up, with an 89% rating during the first Gulf War.
- Harry Truman scored 87% in April, 1945, following FDR's death and during the final stages of World War II.
The all-time worst numbers belong to:
- Harry Truman (23%), who also holds the record for the biggest range in approval rating.
- George H. W. Bush eventually sank to 29%.
- Nixon was at 24% before he resigned.